Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Name...Why Skyline Music?

I've answered this question too many times to count--
--but here it is, so perhaps I can answer it a few times less in person. Skyline was the band I had for the decade prior to opening the store, and anyone that had known me during that time knew Skyline was me. It was, I hoped, a beacon that said, "here I am!" The group was a seven piece unit that played a lot of country clubs and corporate functions, plus a wedding or other event here and there. We didn't do bars much, (one nighters paid more), and while we snuck some originals in, it wasn't a big part of what we did. We played for entertainment, which meant giving the crowd what they wanted to hear...not unlike retailing.

The reason we named the band Skyline is a little foggy at this remove, but in part it was because we played a broad range of material, from jazz to pop, disco at one point, etc. We were more urban than country, and the city image, we thought, gave us a more, shall we say, cosmopolitan flair. I came up with the concept for the original logo. It was rendered by a graphic artist friend of our bass player at the time, who selected the typeface (called  "Stop"). Stop was pretty hard to read, so I restyled some of the letters, and the circle silhouette logo was used from 1978 on. By the time I opened in 1987 it had undergone a couple of slight revsions, and I just added the "music" to the logo.




There have been a number of variants since, but the two most significant were recasting the typeface ("Skyline" is set in Bauhaus, "music" in Catflisch script.) and later removing the circle to create what we refer to as the "line logo"--just the name and the city outline. There have been anniversary versions, and at our 15th anniversary we added a "sidecar" number logo. The 20th anniversary used the sidecar again.The original intent was to use the sidecar only for "milestone" years, but Jill pushed me to create one for each year after that, and I did with varying success. Some numbers are less sexy in this regard...but there it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment